Monday, February 18, 2013

Staples and Simply Wraps- A Guest Post by Captured by Kristin Newborn Photography (and Giveaway)


 Every session I do starts with my ‘bread and butter’ poses. I love trying new things, I love being innovative, but I also acknowledge that every pose is a new pose for each new mom. This pose, this setup, has never been done with their baby. If it’s their second time working with me, they enjoy the similarities so that they can so side by side comparisons between children. I like to use the 90/10 rule. 90% of the session is spent on poses I know well, and the other 10% is spent on trying new things. If the baby is a great sleeper and I’m done with my standard poses quickly, I may get more time to spend on experimenting, but I never waste the first hour of my shoot working on a pose that I don’t know well enough to do in my sleep. Those always come at the end for me. 

One pose I really know well is taco. It wasn’t always this way, but I can now get taco with even the fussiest of babies. To add variety I always put a Simply Wrap on the baby. This gives me 2-4 unique images out of a single pose. I can get a close up with and without the wrap, I can shoot from different angles, etc. It gives me lots of options without having to move the baby at all (as I would have to for a hat or cocoon). If you want to see how to put a simply wrap on a baby like this without moving the baby, click here http://capturedbykristin.ca/blog/newborn/devoted-knits-simply-wraps/ I love having quick ways to add variety to my galleries, so I now own several simply wraps. I know there are a lot of ways to use them, but this is definitely my go-to technique. It’s so quick and easy to do that I make sure to do it every time I use the taco pose. 

I hope my favourite staple posing strategy helps you to add variety to your galleries, and I apologize in advance for your new found addiction to Simply Wraps.


Comment and reshare this post on your facebook business or personal page and you will be entered to win a FREE SimplyWrap - winner pays shipping fees. Giveaway ends Feb 24 at midnight EST.

Google+ Badge